These are various companies that provide digital legacy related apps and services. I provide these for information purposes only and have not tested or reviewed any of them unless noted.
These are services to secure your personal data with various options. These services vary in scope and functionality. They provide the ability to collect critical details about your data, store documents, provide your wishes and even provide specific rules for sharing with friends and family.
- Cake – Create end of life plans that cover many aspects for free
- Clocr – One tool for your family to organize, manage and pass on your digital legacy
- Easeenet – [Review] A unique service that offers password management, secure document storage and digital estate planning
- Empathy – A mobile app to help guide people who have suffered loss on aspects related to a death that need to be completed
- Ever Plans – An Everplan is a secure, digital archive of everything your loved ones will need should something happen to you.
- Final Security – Digital Estate Planning with Final Security is about protecting you and your loved ones from cybercrime, ensuring your important files are found and protecting your legacy.
- GoodTrust – [Review] Secure your websites, social media, online accounts and documents with easy access for trusted individuals or when you pass away.
- Hereditas – An open source static website generator that builds fully-trustless digital legacy boxes, where you can store information for your relatives to access in case of your sudden death or disappearance.
- Lantern – Get your free step-by-step guide on how to navigate your life before and after a death.
- Legacy Armour – “…a life monitoring platform where you organize your important information in encrypted vaults, and we automatically deliver it to your designated recipients on a scheduled date, or in case of your death or incapacitation”
- Legacy Shield – This is a service that allows someone to manage a digital legacy for clients.
- MyWishes – Write your will, document your funeral wishes, plan your future care and safeguard your digital legacy.
- The Postage – Provides a secure place to plan your legacy. Organize and store key elements that can then be shared with loved ones.
- SecureSafe – Cloud data storage and password management along with data inheritance logic. This looks like a pretty good service that encompasses a few critical items in a single place.
- WillBox.me – Manage digital afterlife, assets, last wills and online legacy
- 1Password – Another great popular password manager to consider that has very similar functionality
- Bitwarden – Open source, light weight and cross platform app that is free with some paid premium features
- Dashlane – create, save, and autofill your passwords.
- Easeenet – A unique service that offers password management, secure document storage and digital estate planning
- KeePass – Software you run on your personal machine to manage passwords
- LastPass – A password manager you can use both on desktop and mobile. I personally have been using this for years and love it.
Biography / Memorial Services
These services are for creating life profile pages that can use images, video, and storytelling to create a digital biography.
- Afterbook – “…creation of profiles and life stories, archiving photographs and treasured nostalgia and sharing with friends and families.”
- Forever Missed – “Preserve and share memories of your loved one.”
- Keeper – “Keeper online tributes are a simple way to preserve, celebrate and share a loved one’s legacy.”
- Kudoboard – Collaborate to create a unique, online memorial. Add memories, photos, or videos; invite others to contribute; visit online anytime or print it out.
- Life’s Time Capsule – Capture, preserve, and pass along a digital family heirloom
- LifeWeb360 – Memorial scrapbooks built by your friends and family
- Memory Lane – An Alexa app to record, share and recollect your memories
- Miigen – Create a digital time capsule for special moments of your life in your “digital scrapbook” for you and your family to enjoy.
- My Last Soundtrack – Create a page with images and storytelling along with songs for your lifetime soundtrack
- WishLockr – A hybrid service that also offers some digital estate services. “…compile cherished memories, photos and a playlist. Set down your wishes and key contacts.”
Cloud Backup Services
These are just cloud data backup solutions.
- Backblaze – Unlimited data with encryption $50 per year
- Carbonite – Unlimited data with encryption $72 per year
Virtual AI Avatar
These services aim to have you upload personal data or grant access to services so they can analyze the data and create virtual versions of you. Theoretically these would allow people to have conversations with these virtual avatars. Very cutting edge and experimental but I’ve written about how I feel these are advancing quickly and will become a reality soon. If you want to peek at the future watch the “Be Right Back” (Netflix link) episode of Black Mirror.
- Augmented Eternity – An MIT project that plans to offer an open source app to provide virtual identities
- Eter9 – “…your Virtual Self that will stay in the system and interact with the world just like you would if you were present.”
- Eternime – Create a virtual digital legacy page (not launched yet)
- HereAfter – creates interactive, oral history-sharing chatbots so that your legacy can live on.
- Lifenaut – Build a conversational Avatar based on personal data
- Replika – An app that you train answering questions that theoretically could learn and interact with others based on your personal data
Death Notification Services
These services allow you to setup notifications that will be sent out once you have died
- If I Die – A service to queue up a message to be posted on social services when you die
- Afternote – “allows you to make your last wishes known, to leave messages for your loved ones and record your life story in a beautiful way.”
- Final Wish – “a secure website that stores information you want shared at the time of your passing.”